Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Gates of Dawn

Gates of Dawn

I feel a shiver through my body.I dig my feet to get some warmth and there is sand. Yes sand between my feet. I clutch my hands and again sand and slight wetness all around the hard surface. My eyes are sour and it pains when I try to open it. I suddenly feel a dryness. My lips,  mouth and all through to my stomach, it feels like ages since I have had some Water. Water, Yes I can hear water and lots of it too .Am I at a beach ?

I try rubbing my eyes, but my hands are stiff. My whole body is stiff from the cold and dampness. I strain and try to open my eyes, against the stickiness of my eyelashes, the first rays feel like slight pin pricks. I shield my eyes with my hand and strain to see the stars straining too, to hold on to their brilliance of last night against the coming dawn. There is a white strike across the sky like a kids first attempt at a bulls eye. The sky is still  black but right at the centre has a  golden hue, trailing off to red, violet and its myriad variants on to the blackness beyond. The birds are coming to and the beach dog is taking a lazy stroll ;even its tail is stiff. Far across, I can see local folks getting ready for their morning voyage across the sea, mangy, noisy but full of life. I compare it to my own daily drag across to my office ; Decked in crisp formal attire, AC on full blow in the car, fresh on the  outside  but  dead inside. But this brings a smile to my face as I realise I don’t have to continue that ritual from today, Yes I have been fired from office and am damn happy about it. Maybe it’s the beauty of the dawn, nothing can keep me from being happy today. I have woken up without an alarm after a long time and doesn’t have to strain my mind to decide what to do next. In the distance I see her walking to me with two cups of tea and my smile reaches a full crescent .Yes , the gates of dawn has opened and the day lays across getting brighter by the moment

No comments: